POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
From: Warp
Date: 23 Oct 2007 17:32:08
Message: <471e6858@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >  I don't remember seeing even one single post suggesting some concrete
> > rendering algorithm idea which could be implemented in povray.

> My point exactly :)

  I don't think you meant that point with the same meaning as I did...

> With all the developers currently discussing the future
> of POV-Ray, the major selling point of a renderer (i.e. rendering quality)
> is mysteriously absent. And when one person dares showing up with some
> interesting ideas and a working piece of software, the poor guy gets told
> off because he *** gasp *** made the mistake of pressing twice on the send
> key.

  I think POV-Ray needs new algorithms which will make it produce prettier
pictures *faster*, not slower. You said it yourself that the algorithms used
in that program may produce cool results, but you could take a trip around
the world in a boat before the image is ready.

  I'm not saying POV-Ray couldn't benefit from this. I'm saying that POV-Ray
would benefit *more* from algorithms which make it faster, and thus they
should have a higher priority.

> Implementing them is certainly challenging, but finding interesting
> algorithms and looking at their various practical implementations is not.

  As I said, it's easy to suggest all kinds of features, but there doesn't
seem to be many volunteers for actually doing the hard work of studying the
algorithms and presenting some concrete proposals on how to embed them in
POV-Ray.

--
                                                          - Warp